James (Jim) Jackman
Career: 1890 to 1891
James (Jim) Jackman made his debut for Norwood in 1890 , under the captaincy of “Topsy” Waldron. Joining the Redlegs late in the season, he was recognized as a talented and speedy defender.
In his second season, he was a member of Norwood’s 1891 premiership team. He was also part of the Norwood side which went on tour to Tasmania in May and June, playing two matches in Hobart against Southern Tasmania.
In later life, Jim Jackman was well-known as a manager of Jackman’s Grand Café, which had been established by his father Joseph Jackman in 1870. Jackman’s, in King William Street, was one of Adelaide’s most prominent restaurants during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as well as providing a popular venue for meetings and social gatherings.
Jim and his brother Arthur operated Jackman’s Cafe until 1917, when they sold it to Balfour’s. Subsequently renamed Balfour’s Café, it was a landmark at 58 King William Street until the mid-1970’s.
By 1916, Jim Jackman moved to Glenelg, where he spent much of his leisure time boating, fishing and playing golf. In 1926, along with Arthur and younger brother Sydney, he was one of the founders of the Glenelg Golf Club.
A family reunion in 1950 provided an opportunity to reflect on the achievements of the Jackman clan. Jackman’s Café was still well-remembered for its significant role in Adelaide’s social life, while Sydney and Herbert Jackman had also left an important legacy as leading South Australian architects – their designs included Adelaide Railway Station and Charles Moore’s Department Store. Jim Jackman died nine years later in May, 1959, at the age of 87.
C Lane Jan 2016