Clifford John FERRETT


Guernsey Number: 23
Career: 1933
NFC Games: 4
NFC Goals: 0
Debut: v West Torrens (Norwood) 29th April 1933
Finale: v West Torrens (Thebarton) 29th July 1933


Cliff Ferrett came to Norwood from the Moonta Turks in 1933 with high credentials but played only four games and was 19th man in two of them.

Born on 21 July 1911, he was a talented  follower and utility player for the Turks in the Yorke Peninsula Football Association, the oldest country football compeition in South Australia.  The Turks won the association’s  inaugural premiership in 1903, followed up in 1906 and 1915, but did not break through again until 1932 – with Cliff as vice-captain.  

It was a ripper of a grand final.  The large crowd which  flocked to the Kadina Oval on 17 September 1932 saw Bute surge to an early three-goal lead in perfect conditions.  The Turks, the redlegs of the competition,  fought back steadily. Cliff, in the first line of attack, gave his tall forwards every assistance and the Turks trailed by only three points at three-quarter time.  Then the heavens opened and spectators rushed for any available cover as rain bucketed down.  The ground became a quagmire but the Turks managed two goals to one to end their 17-year premiership drought  with a four-point victory, 13.11 to 12.13. 

Cliff capped a triumphant year as the recipient of the Holder Medal  for the fairest and most brilliant player of all associated teams for the season.  A player with good disposal who did his best work on the ball, he was a regular selection in YPFA Combined teams for matches against the Western Areas FA.

In a Norwood pre-season trial match in 1933, Cliff defended strongly when in the back pocket and gave an effective display in the ruck. He was one of 40 players who wore the red and blue that season as Norwood overcame sickness and injuries, reaching  the grand final but in the end going down to West Torrens,  13.10 to 9.11.

Cliff on debut had better luck against West Torrens on 29 April.  He was named leader of the first ruck but a team reshuffle because of injuries saw him in the back pocket in the second half as Norwood at home won 15.12 to 13.19.

Named 19th man on 20 May, he came on at the end of first quarter against Glenelg at Adelaide Oval.  Despite Bill McCallum’s dominent high marking, Norwood lost 16.9 to 14.8.  Cliff sat on the bench as Norwood beat West Adelaide 17.16 to 12.17 at Wayville on 27 May.  He was in the back pocket against Torrens at Thebarton Oval on 29 July. Norwood’s innaccuracy with the wind in the last quarter enabled Torrens to win 17.10 to 12.16.  Cliff went home after that.

P Robins, G Adams April 2020 

* For the picture we thank Andrew Pearson, secretary of the Moonta Football Club


<< Back