Edwin Harold Doig LINES


Guernsey Number: 5
Career: 1934
NFC Games: 11
NFC Goals: 0
Debut: v Glenelg (Norwood) 9th June 1934
Finale: v Glenelg (Norwood) 8th September 1934


Harold Lines had red and blue blood in his veins.  He was the son of Lionel Harvey, who played for Norwood in 1908 and died on the Western Front in World War I. Lionel’s brother, William, survived war service and represented Norwood in 1919.

Harold built on that tradition. After a solid season as a league defender with Norwood in 1934, followed by two years in the seconds, he joined the Army Militia in 1937 and with the outbreak of World War II enlisted in the 2/10th Bn in October 1939. Rising to the rank of captain, he served with distinction at Tobruk, El Alamein and then in New Guinea until he was repatriated to Alice Springs in 1943.

Harold Lines was born in Adelaide on 14 August 1910 and educated at Norwood High School, where he was a talented sportsman with a penchant for cricket.  He was an opening bowler and batsman for the Kensington A grade team during the 1930s – the Bradman era.  As a professional runner he competed in the 440 yards event at a Stawell Gift meeting. 

As a footballer, Harold held up well on his half-back flank in the disappointing year of 1934, when Norwood finished seventh and Glenelg won its first premiership.  He was named 19th man for his first league game but came on when Clem Edwards had to leave the field in the first term.  Glenelg showed its potential with a strong finish to beat a tiring Norwood by two points, 14.17 to 13.21.

Harold was named as a back pocket/follower in his next game , two weeks later,  when Norwood defeated South Adelaide by 27 points at Norwood Oval, but thereafter  moved to half-back, where he was no stranger to the best players list but tasted victory only more time.  That was against North Adelaide at Norwood Oval on 4 August.   North threatened to cut Norwood apart early.  The Mail said:  “Only rugged efforts by Allington, Lines and H. Page kept the red-and-whites from scoring more heavily.” Ken Farmer for North and Bruce Schultz for Norwood each kicked six goals in a seesaw struggle until Ron Brown’s fifth goal – a wonderful snap on the bell - gave Norwood victory by three points, 16.13 to 15.16.

Harold also represented Norwood in nine games of association (B grade) football between 1934 and 1936.

After Harold was medically discharged from the army in 1944, he joined the Adelaide Children’s Hospital as Lay Superintendent and remained there until his retirement in 1970. He maintained a lifelong interest in the RSL, the Norwood Football Club, the Kensington District Cricket Club and the SA Fish Protection and Anglers Association.  

Harold married Joan Ferguson in 1938. He died in Adelaide on 20 August 2001.

P Robins, R Lines April 2020 

* Richard Lines generously provided photographs and details of his father’s life

<< Back