George PAGE


Guernsey Number: 14, 19, 15
Career: 1929 & 1931 to 1935
NFC Games: 40
NFC Goals: 8
Debut: v West Torrens (Thebarton) 6th July 1929
Finale: v North Adelaide (Prospect) 24th August 1935


George Frederick Page joined the Norwood Football Club via the Norwood Union Football Club playing in the East Torrens Football Association. His brother Harold also transferred from the same club.
A follower and sometime defender, George Page made his senior debut against West Torrens in Round 10, 1929 - the Redlegs losing the match 10.6 to 13.12. Named as one of the reserves, he came into the side on a half back flank as a late replacement for the injured Joseph C Johns. It was to be his only league game for the season, finding it difficult to break into the powerful line-up, which went on to win the 1929 premiership.
In 1930, Page played in the B Grade premiership. Vice-captain of the team, he shared the victory with his brother, Harold.
The following season he was named the best and fairest for Norwood B's and represented the South Australian National Football Association against the Broken Hill Football Association. Despite his obvious good form in the B's, he only managed to play one league match for the year.
Similarly in 1932, he only played one senior game, despite being runner-up for the B's best and fairest. At the annual meeting, he was elected Life Member of the Norwood Association Football Club (Reserves).
Page made 14 league appearances in 1933. He played another ten games in 1934, and was presented with a five year service certificate.

His final league game was in Round 15, 1935.
Page continued to play for the B's and in 1936 won the Nitschke Medal for the best follower in the Association. During this season, he also captained the South Australian National Football Association (state reserves) against the Western Australian and Port Pirie combinations.
In 1937 he won his second premiership with the Norwood B's and again captained the association side. He then captained Norwood B's to another premiership in 1938; a thrilling three point victory over Port Adelaide, on the Thebarton Oval.
A wonderful club man, Page also coached Norwood's Senior Colts from 1937 to 1944. (In association with his Team Manager, F.J. McCallum). In at least two of those seasons, 1939 and 1940, he was
also in charge of the Junior Colts. He guided the Senior Colts to a flag in 1940, the club's first ever junior premiership.

Following this, George continued his involvement in football by becoming a central umpire in the S.A. Amateur League for some years.
His son Jeff played 65 games for Norwood, between 1966 and 1974.

R Cialini Aug 2015

<< Back