HALL OF FAME - Taylor, Michael

Michael Taylor

(1972 -1980, 1985 - 1987, 2001 - 2004)

One of the greatest

Born on December 30, 1953, Michael "Kingo” Taylor came to Norwood as a 15 year old, from the South-East town of Kingston. He first played for the Norwood  Colts, coached by Mal Smith. 
Under the guidance of Robert Farnham, the Norwood Thirds won the premiership in 1971. In a sign of things to come, Taylor was runner-up in the Thirds best and fairest award.
Making his league debut in the opening round of the 1972 season, he played another thirteen senior games for the year, as well as seven Reserves games.
Incredibly consistent, Michael Taylor was to be a vital cog in Norwood's rise up the SANFL ladder. He was remarkably resilient and rarely missed a game.
Under league coach Robert Oatey, Taylor won his first best and fairest award for Norwood in 1973. After another stellar season as a back-pocket/centreman, he won the award again the following year, this time under new coach Robert Hammond.
Named in a back-pocket for the 1975 Grand Final, he was an important member of the side which won its first flag in 25 years. He was also runner-up in  the best and fairest award to Ross Dillon and represented South Australia in his first interstate game during the year.
In 1976, Taylor was again runner-up, this time to Rodney Pope. Having made his League debut against Port Adelaide, it was fitting that on July 3, 1976 he played his 100th game against the traditional rivals. By 1977 he was playing predominantly as a midfielder and he helped Norwood take out the Ardath Cup (National Football League Champions of Australia, night series).
A true leader and role model, he was appointed club captain in 1978, Norwood's centenary year. Named in the centre for the Grand Final, he was
best on ground in Norwood's unforgettable one point victory over Sturt. He also had the honour of being named Norwood's best and fairest in its 100th year.
His brilliant form continued, and he was named Club Champion in 1979 and 1980.

1980 was possibly his best season when he won the E.A. Johnson Service Award, and the NFC Past Players' Association Award. Despite also winning nearly all of the media awards, he was runner-up in the Magarey Medal. Taylor also played his 200th game during the year.
After captaining the Redlegs for three years, and winning the club best and fairest award each of those seasons, Kingo transferred to Collingwood (VFL) in 1981. Once again playing mainly out of the back pocket, he continued to show great judgement, clean skills, and above all amazing consistency. He played in the Magpies' losing 1981 Grand Final, and was subsequently named vice-captain in 1982. Taylor was runner-up in the 1982 and 1983 Copeland trophy,  Collingwood's best and fairest award. He played 92 VFL games between 1981 and 1984.
Returning to the Parade in 1985, he took over where he had left off, adding a sixth best and fairest in 1986. His final game, against  Port Adelaide, was in the 1987 qualifying final.
He represented the State on 13 occasions, was a regular selection from 1975, and was vice-captain in 1979 and 1980. He was SANFL State coach in 1993 and 1994.

Taylor was Collingwood's assistant coach from 1988 to 1990, coaching the Reserves, and from 1991 to 1995 was appointed assistant coach of the Adelaide Crows.

He then coached West Adelaide from 1996 to 2000, guiding them to two major round appearances. In 2001 he was appointed Norwood's assistant coach.

Taylor was inducted into the South Australian Hall of Fame in 2002, and was named in a back pocket in Norwood's "Team of the Century"

In 2018 Michael Taylor was elevated to Legend within the Norwood Hall of Fame

In 2022 Michael was inducted into the Australian Football Hall of Fame

<< Back