Arthur GEARY


Guernsey Number: 24, 10
Career: 1925 to 1930
NFC Games: 76
NFC Goals: 0
Debut: v North Adelaide (Norwood) 16th May 1925
Finale: v Glenelg (Glenelg) 30th August 1930

Premierships: 1925, 1929


Arthur Lascelles Geary made his League debut under unfortunate circumstances, being a late replacement for Guy Stephens who withdrew from the selected team owing to a family bereavement. Solidly built and a good mark, Geary was a long kicking left-footer who improved markedly in his time at Norwood.

By the time he played League football, Geary had already played a couple of years of Reserves football, having  transferred from a junior team in the North Adelaide area in 1923. In his debut, he was named in the back pocket against North Adelaide on the Norwood Oval when Norwood ran out comfortable winners. Later that season, Geary was again named as a back pocket in the Norwood team that defeated West Torrens in the Grand Final on Adelaide Oval. His fellow defenders included some of the club's all-time greats: Syd Ackland, Wat Scott, Guy Stephens and Sid White.

Geary played all of his football at Norwood as a defender, nearly all as a back pocket.
After missing most of the 1927 season with bad ankles, Geary returned to play a prominent role in the Norwood teams from 1928 to 1930.
Named the club's Most Consistent player in 1928, he had been a valuable member of the Norwood team that had played Port Adelaide earlier in the year, in an exhibition match on the Sydney Showgrounds. Playing at a centre half back, he was named Norwood's second best player in the team's five point victory.
He was outstanding, playing out of a back pocket, in Norwood's 1929 Grand Final triumph over Port Adelaide.
Earlier in that finals series, in a match against West Adelaide, Geary was involved in a controversial incident that saw his opponent suspended for three and half years. He had bumped West Adelaide's E. Bennetts on the side and brought him to the ground. Geary took possession of the ball and played on, but as the field umpire attempted to jump over Bennetts, the West player allegedly kicked the umpire.
In what was to be his last game of League football, Geary injured his knee on the Glenelg Oval late in the 1930 season, and subsequently retired.

R Cialini April 2014

<< Back