PLAYERS - MILLER, Harold Mayoh

Harold Mayoh MILLER


Guernsey Number:
Career: 1901 to 1910
NFC Games: 93
NFC Goals: 12
Debut: v Sturt (Norwood) 4th May 1901
Finale: v Sturt (Adelaide) 24th September 1910

Premierships: 1904, 1907
NFC Life Member
South Australian Games: 1


Harold Miller came from Kapunda and had just turned 17 when he played his first game for the Redlegs in the first round of the 1901 season. His brother William (Billy) was already established in the Norwood side; he was a very fine full forward who topped the goalkicking for the club every year from 1899 to 1905.  It would be the first round of the 1902 season before Harry played his second game and he and Billy played together until the end of 1910, including in the two Norwood premiership sides of 1904 and 1907.

Harry quickly established himself and also became a renowned player for the club. On the wing and half back flank, his “clever dodging” frequently brought applause from the spectators. He won the Best Junior award for the club in 1902.

During his stellar years from 1905 to 1909 Harry became a favourite of the crowds, for his diminutive size (168cm) and his dashing performances. In the 1907 grand final Norwood defeated Port Adelaide and according to a newspaper report: “Billy Miller and his brother Harold were a pair of shining lights all through the hard-fought game. Harold Miller put up a most brilliant game for Norwoods. He was as true as steel every time he was asked a question on Saturday”. The following weekend, Norwood defeated Carlton to become Champion of Australia and again Harry played a fine game on the wing.

Even late in his career with Norwood in 1908 and 1909, Harry played brilliantly and the press reports of his performances in those years are again worth quoting:  “no man on the ground played a more useful game. He relieved brilliantly again and again, marked surely, and often got through with the ball when there seemed no hope”; “Little Harold Miller, back on the left wing, was unbeatable; several times he achieved the apparently impossible, and extricated his side from difficulties”.

Harry left Norwood in 1911 and played the 1912 and 1913 seasons with Sturt and retired after playing for West Torrens in 1914.

Harry enlisted for War service in the AIF in July1917, trained in Egypt in 1918 and was allocated to the 1st Australian Light Horse Regiment. He returned to Australia in 1919.

He continued to play football for Woodside after the War and his son joined him in the side in 1923. 

R Crompton Jan 2015

<< Back