John Middleton George SIGGINS


Guernsey Number: 23, 6, 21
Career: 1926 to 1931
NFC Games: 68
NFC Goals: 13
Debut: v Glenelg (Norwood) 4th September 1926
Finale: v North Adelaide (Adelaide) 12th September 1931

Premierships: 1929
South Australian Games: 4


Born in Western Australia, John Middleton George Siggins moved to South Australia as a youngster, and attended Sacred Heart College. He captained the First 18 for two seasons, starring as a centre-man. He also led the school's First 11 cricket team.
An excellent all-round sportsman, he eventually played A Grade cricket for Colts, East Torrens, Glenelg and Kensington. Siggins was also a talented gymnast, boxer, baseballer and tennis player.
He made his League debut as a centre half-forward, in the last minor round game of the 1926 season. Siggins had joined Norwood towards the end of the year and was selected in the senior side after only three games in the Reserves. A strong ground player with a good kick, Siggins seemed destined for a long career in senior football.
Illness delayed his start to the 1927 season and he spent almost the entire year in the Reserves. Named in the pivot, he was best on ground in the Reserves' Grand Final loss to West Torrens. At the end of the season, Siggins was selected at centre half-forward, in the South Australian Football Association (Reserves) side that travelled to Sydney to play New South Wales.
In 1928, he played as a rover, centreman, half forward and then half back. His superb form at half-back gaining him State selection. He played 20 games for the year, and was named best all-round player.
Siggins was again chosen on a half back flank in Norwood's 1929 Grand Final triumph against Port Adelaide 
He had another impressive year, winning his second best all-round player award, and representing South Australia at interstate level.
Ankle and elbow injuries forced him to miss early matches in 1930. Then in June of that year, Siggins was involved in a motor vehicle accident. Hospitalised, Siggins was forced to miss another month of footy. Team-mate Hartley Pike ( 67 NFC games, 1938-32), had also been in the car that struck a light pole
During 1931 he was appointed practice captain of the League squad, and was named selector and player's representative and again played Interstate football. His final game for Norwood was in the 1931, 1st. Semi-Final loss to North Adelaide. Whilst Siggins was high in Norwood's best players, the Redlegs were forced to play the last quarter with only 17 men, and were eventually beaten by 31 points.

John Siggins served with the Australian Army during World War 2

R Cialini Nov 2017

<< Back