Guernsey Number: 30, 5
Career: 1969 & 1972 to 1980
NFC Games: 150
NFC Goals: 0
Debut: v Sturt (Unley) 16th August 1969
Finale: v Port Adelaide (Football Park) 4th October 1980

Premierships: 1978
NFC Life Member


Ian Stasinowsky came from Jervois/Karoonda in the River Murray Football League and commenced his Norwood career in 1969. By-passing the Under 19s, he played in the reserves premierships of 1969 and 1970. Stasinowsky was named the reserves' best first year player in 1969, and best forward in 1970.
Struggling with form, he played only one league game in 1969, making his debut as a forward against Sturt, at Unley. Stazza, as he was affectionately known, then spent the next couple of seasons in the reserves before establishing himself as a defender in the league side. 

Finding his niche at full back, he played 19 games in 1972, and was named the league team's most improved player that year. He was also able to play in his third reserves flag in 1972.
Stasinowsky reached his 50 game milestone in 1974, under new coach Bob Hammond, and in 1975 was awarded a player Five Year Certificate for his services. 

Unfortunately, Stasinowsky dislocated his shoulder in the 1975 second semi-final and subsequently missed playing in Norwood's Grand Final win over Glenelg.
In 1977, again at full back, he was a member of the Redlegs Ardath Cup triumph over East Perth.
In 1978, after 117 games, he tasted league premiership success when Norwood defeated Sturt in a nail-biter.  During the season, he played his 100th game, was elected players' representative, had an excellent finals series, and won the coveted E A Johnson Service Award.
1980 was also a memorable year for Stazza. The popular defender with the long-sleeved jumper, was awarded SANFL and NFC life memberships. He played his 150th and final game in the Grand Final. Despite Norwood losing the match, Stasinowsky had an excellent final series, with his direct opponents only kicking a total of four goals in the four games.
Retiring as a player at 29, he later served the Norwood Football Club as Chairman, between 2004 and 2008.

R Cialini Dec 2014


<< Back