Edgar Clifford THOMAS


Guernsey Number: 30
Career: 1941
NFC Games: 1
NFC Goals: 0
Debut: v South Adelaide (Norwood) 26th April 1941
Finale: v South Adelaide (Norwood) 26th April 1941


Born in Stepney, Edgar Clifford "Cliff" Thomas attended Norwood High School and represented the school in both football and tennis. In 1933 he won the Open Cup for athletics. Lightly built, he ran professionally, finishing third in the 1937 Bay Sheffield, first in the Adelaide Gift in 1940, and third in the State Professional Championships in 1941.
Cliff played his one game of League football in the opening round of the 1941 season. Norwood won the encounter 17.16 to 13.15.
He also played 26 games for the Reserves (1939-41), including nine in the 1939 Reserves premiership year - he was named as 19th man in
the Grand Final against North Adelaide. When military service saw him move to Victoria, he joined the North Melbourne Football Club.
He had enlisted in the armed forces mid-1940, and was called up in mid-1941. Cliff joined the 13th Australian Field Regiment and
trained in artillery. While in New Guinea he volunteered for intermittent duty with the 5th Independent Commando Unit, and remained as a "Z Special" member when the 13th Field returned to Australia. His active service (1052 days) ended when he badly injured a knee.
Although football and professional running were no longer possible, he played lawn bowls and then District (Pennant) tennis for a number of years. He was the number one singles player for the Norwood Tennis Club and was a regular Inter-Association representative for Eastern Districts.
Cliff continued his involvement with the Norwood Football Club after the war. He coached the Junior Colts (Under 17's) in 1954 and 1955 and was part of the Reserves Management Committee (1955-1957).

At various times he filled the roles of Reserves Delegate, Chairman of Selectors and League Management Committee Member.

In 1959 he was involved with the East Torrens Football Association.

R Cialini, R Walsh August 2017

<< Back