Guernsey Number: 44
Career: 1981 to 1991
NFC Games: 246
NFC Goals: 45
Debut: v Glenelg (Glenelg) 11th April 1981
Finale: v West Adelaide (Football Park) 20th July 1991

Premierships: 1982, 1984
NFC Life Member
NFC Hall of Fame
Advertiser Team of the Year: 1989
South Australian Games: 3
VFL/AFL Clubs: Adelaide Crows


Tom Warhurst began playing football at St. Ignatius College Junior School. He then transferred to St. Ignatius' Senior School at Athelstone, and in 1979 started his football with the Norwood Football Club. He played 11 games with the Under 17's, and one in the  Under 19's. The following season he was appointed vice-captain of the Under 19's, and played in his first Redlegs premiership.
Warhurst made his League debut in round two,1981. Despite it being his only senior appearance for the year, he was drafted by North Melbourne at the end of that season, but decided to stay at the Parade. 
In 1982, he slotted into the centre half forward position for the first half of the season, but moved to full back when Neil Button returned from long term injury. He was at full back in Norwood's Grand Final win against Glenelg that season, and was part of a rock-solid defence that included Danny Jenkins, Wayne Schmaal, Frank Stemper, Jim Thiel and Bruce Winter.
While best remembered as one of the club's best ever full backs, Warhurst proved to be just as serviceable in other key positions. In 1984, playing at centre half back, Warhurst was an important member of the "History Makers" side, which saw the Redlegs win the premiership from fifth spot. During the year he also played for South Australia against Western Australia.
Warhurst played his 100th game during the 1985 season, and again represented the State against Western Australia.
He reached his 200 game milestone in round 18, 1989 against South Adelaide at Football Park, and was runner-up to Rodney Maynard in the club's 1989 best and fairest award. Capping off a remarkable season, Warhurst also won the Woods Medal, the E.A.Johnson Award, and was named in the Advertiser Team of the Year.
Appointed vice-captain in 1990, he was also awarded player life-membership for his ten years service to the Norwood Football Club.
In 1991, he joined the Adelaide Crows in its debut season in the AFL. He had the honour of playing in their first game for premiership points - the Crows having a comfortable win against Hawthorn, at Football Park. He also played the following week, but that was to be his last game of AFL football. A serious knee injury which required a reconstruction at the end of the season eventually ended his AFL and SANFL careers.
Between 1994 and 1996, he  played for St. Ignatius Old Scholars in the South Australian Amateur Football League, and was appointed coach in 2000. Warhurst had previously also coached juniors at Payneham Norwood Union.
A fine club man, Warhurst returned to the Parade, and was appointed Under 19's coach in 2002, and Reserves coach in 2004.
His father, Hubert "Tom" (1935-47) is a Norwood Hall of Famer, and older brother John (1968-69), also played League football for the Redlegs.

R Cialini May 2015


<< Back