After 25 years in the wilderness we win our 23rd premiership


Venue: Football Park

Umpire: P.Mead            Crowd: 53,283

                 1st    2nd    3rd    Final       Pts
Norwood    3-5    4-6    6-9    9-10        64            
Glenelg      1-3    5-4    6-7    7-10        52    

Date    27 September 1975        Win by 12 points

Best:  N Button, J Wynne, R Seekamp, G Rosser, R Pope, M Gregg, S Kerley,
G Turbill.

Goalkickers : J Michalanney 2   R Woodcock 2   R Dillon   P Gallagher  M Poulter   G Turbill M Olsen

Game Review:
Norwood smashed their way to their first premiership in 25 years in a bone-jarring, crowd-pleasing grand final against Glenelg at Football Park.  The Redlegs out-pressured the Tigers over four quarters of tough, bustling football to run out winners by 12 points.

Looking beaten in the last term, when Glenelg got to within 1 point and had the use of a strong breeze, Norwood kicked on again in a total team effort which saw them finish the better side.  Ruck supremacy all day helped the Redlegs as Button and Gregg out-punched, out-kicked and out-generalled the Tiger big men.

The near capacity crowd of 53,283 was kept on its toes from the first bounce by umpire Peter Mead, who had charge of his first grand final.  Wynne won the toss and kicked to the southern end with a good breeze in their backs.  

Pressure told early as Norwood shots up front, 5 behinds from 5 shots.  Button and Gregg were providing drive from the ruck, Seekamp was on top at centre, and wingmen Gallagher and Rosser kept up a continual barrage.  However, it was not until the 18 minute mark that Norwood found the big sticks when Poulter bounced one through for 6 points.

Turbill was quick to follow, and a late goal from Michalanney saw Norwood 14 points up at the first change.  The second term was a battle of defences with Norwood nullifying Glenelg’s use of the wind.  Entering into time on, both sides had booted 1-1 with Norwood looking the more composed.  Repeatedly, tempers flared as weight was used with abandon but the Redlegs were less ruffled than their opponents.  Wynne was making his presence felt in many tough physical clashes.  Suddenly Glenelg broke free kicking 3 goals in as many minutes to grab the initiative, and the lead by 4 points at half time.

30 seconds into the third term, Norwood were back in the lead with a goal from Michalanney, a set shot from a tight angle in the right forward pocket.  They looked set to kick away as Woodcock put another goal on the board less than 4 minutes later.  Glenelg steadied and held the Redlegs out in a dour battle of defences.

There was little time for pretty football as the Redlegs slogged their way to a 2 point lead at the last change.  An early running goal to Gallagher lifted Norwood but the Bays were back in business with a goal at the 10 minute mark, leaving them only 1 point down and a strong wind at their backs.

Two minutes later a Tiger goal was disallowed and the ball was whisked up field for Dillon to goal and kick Norwood away, and Olsen popped another through for a 13 point lead.

Glenelg attacked relentlessly but were held up time and again by timely marks and strong defence from Pope, Kerley and Thiel.  Norwood were working stronger and with the ball in the hands of Michalanney, the siren sounded giving Norwood their first league premiership success for 25 years.  

From  The Sunday Mail, 28 September 1975.

This comment from captain John Wynne possibly summed up the win best, “We kept going to final siren because we knew we had to”.


Our team in the 1975 grand final was

Coach:  R Hammond

F    M.Poulter    J.Michalanney     N.Craig
HF    G.Dunstan     R.Dillon       R.Woodcock
C    P.Gallagher   R.Seekamp     G.Rosser
HB    R.Pope         S.Kerley          G.Rix
B    M.Taylor (vc)   J.Thiel           M.Gregg
Followers  N.Button  J.Wynne (c)   G.Turbill
Reserves    M.Olsen    G.Nicholson   

<< Back